Veebruar

Can you tell that this was my new years resolution? Yes, because I'm writing this in April.

NATURE: I went for a swim after a long choir practice but was soon after swept over by a thunderstorm. I was standing on the cliffs staring at the storm and didn't want to leave.

OBJECT (NEW): I bought another notebook on a whim. I'm justifying it as it is small and thin and perfectly pocketable so I don't have an excuse to not carry it with me an write things down for once. (As it is April I can say that I still haven't) 

ENCOUNTER: At the Estonian Independence Day celebrations in Sydney I met a girl who was in the same class with me during high school in Estonia. Now THAT was bizarre, there were so many emotions on that day (and it was crazy hot) I had to go to a park to hide for a while.

DAY OUT: It has to be the 100th Independence day of Estonia. It started early at the dawn service (7h ahead of Estonia's own dawn service). I shared a toast of cold vodka on an empty stomach to celebrate the flag (the same flag that should've been taken down at sunset but with all the celebrating (and vodka) the boys simply forgot it until in the middle of the night). Nap at home and back for the concert and singing with the choir and then the afterparty. I spoke to some people that were ACTUALLY my age and ACTUALLY born in Estonia, it was great to hear Estonian humour. 

GRATITUDE: I had training in the community centre in Redfern. I had never been and am so grateful to all the people working to keep the local Aboriginal culture active there. For the short time I spent there, it really felt like an open space for all. I looked at the posters and the art...soon they started the Chinese New Year celebrations, there were big human dragon costumes, firecrackers, loud music, people!

MOVIE/TV/BOOK: Cookbooks mostly, I'm always trying to find new vegetarian recipes that would become a staple in busy weekday-I-cant-be-bothered evenings. I never follow a recipe ingredient-by-ingredient but ended up trying potato fritters by the River Cottage cookbook and wow, I haven't made anything SO disgusting in years! I once found a hand written post-it note in a library's (some health) cookbook advising not to make a specific pancake recipe as it was so disgusting, I was tempted to do the same. All the rest has been pretty good. 
I think I saw 'I, Tonya' in February, it's great! Such good characters, such a crazy story, ice skating, costumes, humour, what else you need.

CREATIVE ACT: There was a lot of choir singing in this month but a day after the Independence celebrations we had a workshop with dancers from Tarbatu that were performing at the concert the day before. (Poor people were doing a 1 hour show dancing in wool in 30C heat). I was expecting an easy-soft beginners dance lessons but was thrown into dancing 'Tuljak' for the first time in my LIFE with no rehearsal or idea of what to expect. An ACT it was.

view from the Kings Cross Library

not a day goes by without thinking of this land

7am coffee, as you do




Comments